Does My Child have Autism?

Does My Child have Autism?


The diagnosis of autism requires careful assessment by an expert team of qualified professionals. The team is commonly made-up of a developmental pediatrician, psychologist, speech-language therapist and an occupational therapist.

The diagnostic process is usually concerned with determining the:

  • PRESENCE of unusual developmental features such as repetitive movements, rigidity/inflexibility, sensory problems,
  • ABSENCE of usual developmental features such as social intuition and behaviour, interest in people, imaginative play, and language, and
  • CO-OCCURRING conditions such as seizures, anxiety.

A comprehensive assessment will lead to a definitive diagnosis and recommend suitable therapy or programmes for your child. You can seek help at hospitals such as KK Hospital, National University Hospital, Child Guidance Clinic , or approach any private psychologists Older individuals may also seek help from Khoo Teck Puat Hospital or Institute of Mental Health.

You can also click here to download a copy of the Clinical Practice Guidelines from the Ministry of Health.


Last modified on Wednesday, 13 January 2016 15:57